20 Minute Peanut Noodles
One of the reasons I’ve always liked cooking and eating delicious food (apart from it just being super delicious) is that certain foods bring back a sense of nostalgia. You know what I’m talking about. I’m talking about those secret family recipes, those foods that just taste like home or that bring back certain memories.
Well these scrumptious peanut noodles is one of those recipes!
When I was in college some four years ago ( Wow! Already???) I lived in a small house with two of my best friends. We had met through a study abroad program that went to Oaxaca, Mexico (hmm, that place sounds familiar!) and spent four months learning the language and culture together.
Once we returned from our trip we rented a house together and spent countless nights sleepless in the library, drinking wine, rambling for pages in exam papers, learning about the campus culture (cough, cough), stalking cute boys in the library (we really did spend a lot of time there!!) drinking Fireball and mezcal to stay warm instead of paying for heating because we were poor college students and lots of other things that I probably shouldn’t say.
But no matter how much chaos there was during exam periods or just the overwhelming amount of reading and homework, we always found time to hang out and be with each other.
When we had our girl time we loved drinking wine (notice any patterns here??) out of mason jars like the good little hipsters we were. We would talk about everything from the cute new foreign kid we saw in the library to our crazy professors that just had it out for us. But no hipster wine night would be complete without a side of peanut noodles.
As college students we didn’t have much extra to spend on fancy ingredients or equipment, so it’s safe to say that these noodles have only simple ingredients and no fancy skills needed!
After four years, we all graduated and ended up doing our own awesome things, but peanut noodles still remains one of my favorite things to make, especially with a little wine on the side!
- cooked pasta
- 1 bell pepper sliced (I like to use half of one color and half of another color)
- 1/2 small onion sliced
- 1/2 carrot thinnly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (more for taste)
- cilantro (optional)
- lime (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package.
- While pasta cooks, sautee bell pepper, onion, carrot and 2 cloves garlic over medium heat, covered, stiring occasionally
- In a small bowl, mix peanut butter, soy sauce, water, ginger and 2 cloves garlic until completely smooth. (I microwaved the mix for 30 seconds to help soften the peanut butter to mix better.)
- Once pasta is cooked and veggies are soft, drain pasta and mix in veggies and sauce.
- Top with chopped cilantro, lime and sriracha. Enjoy!