Healthish Foodie Nominated for The Liebster Award (Twice!)
I am very excited to announce that Healthish Foodie has yet again been nominated for another award…but this time TWICE! I would like to deeply thank Sophia from Sophiaaxo and Larissa from Life with Larissa Travel Blog for your support and consideration for The Liebster Award.
The Liebster Award is given to bloggers by bloggers, specifically newbies, in order to help create community, encouragement and gives readers a chance to learn a little more about the real people behind their favorite blogs.
Liebster Award 2017 Rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post, or by having it as the feature image.
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favorite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions from your nominator.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers.
- Ask your nominees questions of your own.
- List these rules in your post.
- Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award
- provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
- If you would like a more detailed list of the rules, click here.
Because this award is all about newbie bloggers, I’m going to stick with the theme and recognize my favorite newbie blogger, Kristine from Bites of Flavor! Bites of Flavor highlights healthy recipes like Healthish Foodie but focuses on Weight Watchers approved meals. Her pictures are beautiful, the food looks yummy and she’s got some great recipe videos on the Bites of Flavor Instagram.
I am in love with this new blogger and her recipes because she uses real ingredients and features many vegetarian options as well. I have yet to try her Roasted Cauliflower with Butter Sauce but it is at the top of my cooking list. Something that she talks about on her blog is her passion for healthy food and her journey to learning a healthy lifestyle. Her story really resonated with me because I too, am learning one step at a time and with every healthy decision I make I am continuing to get better. Like Kristine, I’m not a professional chef, just a girl who REALLY likes food. I have learned ways to eat healthy and how cheap and easy it can be which is why I wanted to start my blog in the first place to help show others and share my passion for food.
10 Random Facts about me!
- I live in Oaxaca, Mexico and have been for the past 4 years.
- I am NOT a cat person and they kind of freak me out.
- I LOVE pickles!
- My first real job was at a radio station my first year in college.
- I speak fluent Spanish.
- I would prefer to clean the entire house top to bottom than wash the dishes by hand.
- I teach ESL classes online.
- My drink of choice is vodka and pineapple.
- I have traveled to Canada, Kenya, England and Scotland. (And Mexico obviously!)
- I’m a Pacific Northwest native from a little old town called Sumner, Washington!
Because I was nominated by two different people, I’ll be answering both sets of questions.
Sofia’s questions for me…
1) Do you have any big plans for the rest of the year??
I do! My husband and I’s FIRST wedding anniversary is coming up at the end of June. We got married on the beach in Huatulco, Mexico, so we are planning to return and stay at the same hotel we got married at.
2) If you could change your eye colour, would you? and to what colour?
No. My eyes are a hazel green color outlined in a dark blue and I’m kind of a fan of them.
3) What social media site do you use the most?
I’m definitely guilty of spending WAY too much time on Facebook. I can log on and get side tracked into so many different things thinking it’s only been 15 minutes when really a whole hour has passed. It’s definitely addicting.
4) Would you make any changes to the blogging community?
Since I’m a fairly new blogger, I feel I still have a lot to learn about the blogging community; however, I do love that it is a community and you can network through social media and other online outlets which I think is pretty cool.
5) Favourite film?
Bridesmaids. Hands down.
6) What is one thing you can’t live without?
My husband. He encourages me when I feel like giving up and gives me the honest truth when I need to hear it. We really balance each other out. Life’s stresses would be so much harder without him.
7) Favourite book?
1984. When I first read it in high school my mind was blown. I thought it was such a crazy perspective but it seems to becoming even more real every day.
8) Do you have a celebrity crush?
Not really, but a girl always appreciates a sexy man on TV.
9) If you could go away right now where would you go?
Washington! I get so homesick just thinking about the huge trees and beautiful mountains, the Puget Sound, Seattle, Tacoma….see what I mean! Miss you boo!
10) Any new products you have come across that you love and want to share? this can be anything by the way.
In Mexico (or at least where I live) it’s more common to by things at the daily market so I normally don’t end up with a lot of prepackaged stuff.
11) What do you do to try and keep fit?
For the past month and a half I’ve made such an effort to make exercise part of my daily routine. I’m lazy and it’s a daily struggle to not give up, but I have to decide yes every single day. I am about halfway into the Beta round for T25. They are only 25 minutes so that has helped my motivation because I know it will be over soon. And Shaun T! I’ll squat for you any day Shaun!!
Larissa’s questions for me…
1)What’s your favorite part of the blogging process?
My favorite part is the cooking, eating and photographing!
2)What’s the most challenging part of the blogging process?
For me, it’s the technical side, hands down. Learning how to create a website and add plugins and subscribe forms and all the other things that go into having a successful blog is what I really struggle with. I’m good at cooking delicious food, not computers.
3)Where was your last planned trip? Why’d you go, and did you have a good time?
It’s been a while, but I’m pretty sure it was to Salina Cruz, Mexico to visit my husband’s family. We always have a good time and it’s great to see his family and have a change of pace now and then.
4)If you could have one super power, what would it be? Why?
I would love to be able to fly. I just think it would be so fun and it would definitely save me a ton of time in traffic!
5)What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Ice cream in general is my favorite flavor. But my absolute FAVORITE is cake batter from Cold Stone. Even just by itself it’s amazing.
6)What is currently at the top of your bucket list?
Travel! My husband and I have been working so hard to save up for a new car, but we’d also really love to travel. After a while of doing the same job every day, you really need a vacation. My husband hasn’t really traveled much outside of Mexico so we are really looking forward to do so in the future.
7)What’s your favorite meal of the day?
Dinner. I definitely have a more complete meal at dinner time. In the morning I’m rushed to be online for my ESL classes and in the afternoon I’m normally busy with blogging so dinner is when I get to make a real quality filling meal.
8)Do you have any pets?
Yes! I have a two year old schnauzer named Lucy. She loves to be in the kitchen with me when I’m cooking (mostly because I give her snacks) and her favorite toy is a slice of pizza.
9)If you could have one wish come true, what would you wish for?
I would wish for all desserts to have 0 calories. I could just eat ice cream and chocolate all day and loose weight. That sounds like a perfect world to me!
10)What advice would you give someone who’s on the fence about starting a blog?
I would let them know that it truly is a lot of work. For anything to come of it they do have to be dedicated and put their blog as a priority. If they are looking to create the blog as just a hobby or creative outlet, then yes, definitely start it right now! If they are looking to make money from it, I would ask them if they are truly dedicated because it WILL be a lot of work.
And there you have it folks! Me, Shannon, the little blogger that could, the creator of Healthish Foodie and all the secret details of my life that you were dying to know.
Again I want to thank Sophia and Larissa for their nominations and I am excited to go blog hunting for my nominations!
As for my nominees, I would like to ask…
- Why did you start your blog?
- How long have you been blogging?
- What is the most important thing you have learned about blogging since you started?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
- What is a local dish from where you are from?
- What is one food that you hate and will never eat?
- What food is your guilty pleasure?
- What would you tell a new blogger on day one of starting their blog?
- What is your favorite part about blogging?
- What are your hopes and dreams for your blog?