I can easily say that ceviche is probably one of my FAVORITE Mexican foods ever. It’s so delicious and healthy, I could eat it every day!
Now that the weather is starting to get a little warmer, I have less and less desire to actually cook something in my house. It’s already hot outside, and then to have to use the stove or oven…I might as well just be standing over a fire. It’s too hot!
Ceviche is PERFECT for hot weather because it doesn’t require ANY cooking. Yes, the fish is cooked in ceviche (this ain’t sushi!) but the fish used in ceviche is cooked by the acid in lime juice. Yes, you read that correctly. Lime juice “cooks” the fish! Super weird and I’m sure there’s lots of science involved, but let’s just skip to the delicious part.
In Mexico the beaches are always lined with small seafood restaurants. Some are fancy. Some are shacks. But no matter what beach there are always a TON of seafood restaurants right in the sand. There is really no way to get electricity or gas right on the beach so many of the smaller restaurants cook their food in a wood oven or with lime juice!
Aside from cooking the fish, the lime adds some zesty flavor. This recipe is perfect for hot summer days where turning on the stove or oven just seems like a nightmare. All you need to cook this yummy ceviche is lime and a fridge! Cover the fish completely in lime juice and let sit for at least 4 hours but overnight is best. Then just chop up all the other ingredients, mix ’em together and viola!
I prefer to eat mine with crunchy tostadas and this awesome chipotle dressing.
Easy Mexican Ceviche
- 1 lb white fish (chopped into 1/2 to 1/4 inch cubes)
- 2 to 3 cups lime juice
- 1/2 cucumber (peeled and seeded)
- 2 roma tomatoes (seeded)
- 1/2 red onion (minced)
- 1/2 white or yellow onion (minced)
- 2 avocados (chopped)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- After chopping fish into 1/2 to 1/4 inch cubes, submerge in lime juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight)
- Meanwhile, chop cucumber, tomatoes (seeds removed), avocados and cilantro. Mince onions.
- Once the fish is ready, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!