Potlucks, parties, BBQ’s all come to mind when it’s summer time. And honestly summer goes by way to fast to use plates, so it’s better to just stick to the finger foods. Ain’t nobody got time for plates!
Sweet and sour meatballs is are oh so tasty. Pop a toothpick in it, and you’ve got yourself a finger food! Meatballs are delicious, but wouldn’t they taste even better if you knew you were eating a healthier version of them?
The meatball recipe used for these saucy balls is the same as The Easiest Lentil Meatballs Ever! It really is the easiest ever…if I can make it, so can you. The mixture takes just about as long as it takes to cook lentils and mash them. Then just add some spices and you’re ready for cooking time.
Sweet and sour sauces come in all sorts. For my recipe I tried to make it as simple as possible without skimping on flavor. Most store bought sauces always contain high fructose corn syrup or some type of variation. With a homemade version you know exactly what goes into it and can adjust it for your taste.
Because I live in Mexico, I just happened to have an extra pineapple on hand (duh…of course!) so I used fresh pineapple for the recipe. However, to make it even easier on yourself, I suggest using canned crushed pineapple, juices and all.
Sweet and Sour Lentil Meatballs
- 1 batch of The Easiest Lentil Meatballs EVER!
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 can crushed pineapple (juice separated and set aside)
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp habanero salsa (optional, but adds a super tasty kick)
- 1/2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Cook lentils according to directions
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, saute bell pepper and crushed pineapple until bell pepper is soft.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, salsa, pineapple juice, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch, stirring frequently until sauce thickens (adding more cornstarch as needed).
- Once desired consistency is reached stir in meatballs until they are all evenly covered.
- Serve with toothpicks for an appetizer or over rice for a complete meal. Enjoy!