Veggie Tinga Tacos
Is there such a thing as too many tacos? Mexico doesn’t seem to think so! (And I don’t either to be honest). Mexico is for sure the expert when it comes to taco creation and maintenance but I figured since I’ve lived here for a while I wanted to try my spin on these heavenly little delights by turning tinga into veggies with these veggie tinga tacos.
Tinga is typically shredded chicken that is then cooked with tomato, onion and some spices then topped onto tostadas, memelas and/or anything else it sounds good on really. Instead of using chicken for my tinga I wanted to shove in an extra serving of veggies by using shredded carrots instead.
Switching out chicken for carrots does two things to the recipe. It makes it so much more nutritious for one but it also make for a much quicker cooking time. In order to make the traditional tinga, you first have to cook the chicken (typically boiled), then shred it, then cook it with all the spices and flavorings. I’m just exhausted writing that….
Carrots are vegetables (duh…) so you don’t have to worry about them being completely cooked all the way through before biting into them. But obviously that makes for a more enjoyable experience.
This recipe calls for a little bit of spice, but if spicy isn’t your thing don’t worry. You can still achieve an authentic flavor by using a mild salsa or none at all. For this recipe first start by shredding the carrots and then placing them on a paper towel to help soak up some of the excess water. While the carrots are hanging out, add the onion and garlic to a medium pan and sautee until they are tender. Add tomatoes, cover and let everything soften up real nice. Mix in the carrots and again cover and wait until the carrots are softened. Add in the sauces and that’s pretty much it!
I like to top with cilantro, avocado and lime.
If you’d love to try out more recipes using carrots be sure to check out BBQ Pulled Veggie Sliders
Veggie Tinga Tacos
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 4 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tbs chipotle or adobo sauce (your favorite salsa also works well)
- Start by shredding the carrots and setting aside on a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a medium pan sautee onions and garlic until softened.
- Add tomatoes, cover and let cook until thoroughly cooked. Stir occasionally. (You may need to reduce the heat to avoid sticking to the pan.)
- Stir in carrots, tomato puree, chipotle sauce or salsa and cover. Cook until carrots are thoroughly cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Assemble tacos by adding about 1/4 cup of tinga to each tortilla. Top with cilantro, avocado and lime. Enjoy!