Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
Lately I’ve been exploring the many uses of cauliflower. It’s so mysterious. What is it? It’s like broccoli but white. So weird! But also lucky for you, so delicious and versatile!
In case you aren’t familiar with recent food trends many foodies have been experimenting with cauliflower alternatives to avoid carbs, such as, cauliflower rice and pizza crusts. I personally have not had the chance to try these yet, but I have done a little experimenting of my own.
This week I have been cooking up a storm to find some super simple and tasty ways to use such a under-used veggie. In case you missed it, my Ranch Cauliflower Poppers were a hit! My carnivorous husband approved them and I couldn’t keep my hands off them. I literally almost ate the entire bowl! But they’re vegetables right? So who cares!
For this recipe I use cauliflower in a completely different way. Super smooth and creamy alfredo sauce! Are you salivating yet? And just to let you in on a little secret, there is absolutely NO dairy in this sauce. Instead of adding a ton of cheese and cream (no judgement here if you do, I love those too!), I throw in a potato to get a little extra creaminess and potassium. Don’t worry your body will thank you.
And now without further adieu, I bring to you my super smooth and creamy cauliflower alfredo sauce!
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 small potato chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups veggie or chicken stock or 1/2 bullion cube and 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, saute onions and garlic on medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add cauliflower, potato, stock or water and bullion cube, cover and let simmer until cauliflower and potato are softened.
- Transfer contents from pan to a blender and blend for 1 minute or until completely smooth.
- Transfer blender contents back to pan. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper and let simmer on low, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Pour over cooked pasta, veggies or anything else you’d like a little more saucy. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, comment below and let me know how it went! I love pictures!