Happy birthday America! May your seasides shine as bright as the 50 stars on your flag.
For any birthday usually there’s cake. But would a cake really be sufficient for America? I think not! Maybe an apple pie would be more fitting. Honestly, what’s more american than an apple pie? Oh yeah–fried apple pie! These cinnamon sugar fried apples are as close as it gets to a fried apple pie.
But I have to warn you that they are delicious! Crunchy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside, makes the perfect combo for a cinnamon sugar dusting. And because these apple wedges are fried (just like everything else in America) they are super quick and don’t need much prep which makes them AWESOME for a 4th of July dessert!
To create the super crunch that caresses dem sweet apples, you first need to make a batter. I tried to keep it as simple as possible by just mixing water and flour. If you’d like more of a doughy coating, I suggest using pancake batter to coat the apples before frying.
Any apple will work for these, just be mindful of if you’d prefer a more sour or sweet taste.
Cinnamon Sugar Fried Apple Wedges
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 apples sliced
- oil for frying
- Pour oil into a large pot and heat on high (I used about 1 liter of vegetable oil)
- Slice apples into wedges
- Mix flour and water together adding more as needed to make a thick batter (similar to pancake mix)
- Coat apple wedges in batter and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove wedges from pan, placing them on a dripping rack or towel lined plate to absorb the extra oil.
- Immediately coat with sugar and cinnamon. Enjoy!