In case you are not aware, potatoes are vegetables. But for some reason they get a bad rap for being so fattening and one of the worst things you could eat. Starchy vegetables are delicious and nutritious. I wanted to focus on these misunderstood veggies by highlighting them in a cozy tortilla. Crispy baked potato taquitos are probably the healthiest taquitos you could eat!
Like I mentioned before, potatoes are actually very healthy even though main media says otherwise. While they may have a higher calorie count than other veggies they are packed with fiber to keep you full. Potatoes are a complex carb which takes the body longer to digest and that means you stay full longer. They are fat-free, cholesterol-free and LOADED with potassium and vitamin B6.
How can potatoes be SO good for us and yet you’ve only heard of them being compared to Satan and killing any shot at weight loss you take? Potatoes by themselves are super nutritious but what many don’t take into consideration is all the ‘extras’ that they pile on them. Butter, sour cream, bacon and cheese are NOT super foods people! These extras might be tasty, but if you’re looking to get a little healthier, these would be the first things to cut back on.
Anywho…back to taquitos!
These taquitos are super easy and only require three ingredients. And these babies are BAKED which makes them extra crispy without the added oil of frying them. First I started by peeling and boiling potatoes with an added smashed garlic clove the the water. This is optional but I like that it adds a little extra added flavor. When the potatoes are soft, pour out the water and begin to mash. Since the potatoes were already extra soft I didn’t have to add any extra liquid to make them creamy, but if you’d like water, vegetable broth or plant-based milk also work great. Then stuff the tortillas, roll ’em up and pop them in the oven! That’s it!
I like to top mine with beans, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and salsa.
Crispy Baked Potato Taquitos
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- Tortillas (I used about 20 small ones but any will work)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until very soft.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas in the microwave for about a minute or two or until soft. I find this makes it easier to roll them up.
- When potatoes are fully cooked, drain and mash them, adding a few tablespoons of liquid if needed.
- Then add about 2-3 tablespoons of the potato puree to each tortilla and roll up.
- Place taquitos on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden at 400 degrees. Enjoy!